My photo
Being a modeller for quite a few years now, I decided to explore the endless possibilities that the world (through internet) offers, and come up with a series of ways of building, modelling and painting fast (but not hastily), to create the worlds I was seeing in history books since I was little. . .If you care to join me. . . This is the place to be! And, I promise you to find the way (or ways)!!

Monday 15 December 2014

How to make: Stone Walls

Greetings everyone,

Today I'm going to show you my latest addition to my ever growing collection of terrain pieces (mostly handmade, as most of you that follow this blog already know).

Since I'm a cheap git (my fellow English friends may raise their fingers for my misbehaviour - I heard it in a movie and I liked it), I was trying to come up with a way of making some cheap, durable and respectful (in terms of wargaming feasibility) stone walls for my little men.

I browsed the internet for some ideas, but the answer came through one of my wargaming buddies, Vaggelis, who's trying to entice me into the world of Chain Of Command rules - he didn't try much tbh, since I didn't need much of an effort to indulge myself into something new hobby related thing.

He told me to use PVA, and plastic decorative gravel. Yes, you got that right, some PVA and plastic gravel. Below, you will see how easy it is to make some - good, for the eye at least - stone walls by combining these two, and easy to find materials.

I started from this:


And got into this:


Watch the video and spread the word, spread the word guys, so we can all play!




Have a great Monday evening everyone. :-)

T.

P.S: If you care to see how I made the small barn next to the stone walls, see this post

17 comments:

  1. Very useful tutorial, I shall bookmark that. Where did you get the plastic gravel from? A hobby or craft store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, check your local IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/60236095/) or the flower shop, that's where I found the stuff I have. I have been using it for basing, never occurred to me to build walls this way. Must try that now.
      Thanks Thanos, great tutorial!

      Delete
  2. Always simple and great tutorials Thanos! By the way, grab the lads and let's kick some Jerries mate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial. Now I have to find that plastic gravel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! You make it look so easy, the pink walls were fun too before you painted them - perhaps for a Martian game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet lord, Mike, was that necessary? Now I have visions of playing Mars Attacks:Humanity Strikes Back with space-suited humans invading Mars.
      Thanos, please start thinking about trees to match the pink stone walls of Mars. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Very nice modeling. It works for me, Mr. T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, nice looking walls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post thanks. Forgot how great this net is for ideas and fun. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderfull! You did a great job on these Thanos! Thanks for sharing!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete